This is a great topic to discuss as Curves and Levels essentially do the same thing just in different ways. A reader of f.64 Academy and a photo buddy of mine (a very talented one at that) asked me what the difference was between them. It is a very valid question, even an experienced Photoshopper will ask this question from time to time. In summary, I told him that they were essentially the same thing but on different frequencies.
- Curves contain levels
- Levels do not contain Curves
- Both control tone and color
- Levels are 2 dimensional in nature
- Curves have 3 dimen3-dimensionalteristics.
- Remember, square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle cannot be a square. Curves can be levels, but levels cannot be curves.
Let’s take a deeper look at this one!