“Curves and Levels,
Curves and Levels,
go together like a horse and carriage,
this I tell you brother,
you can’t have one without the… other”
Isn’t that how the song goes… oh wait, that was LOVE and MARRIAGE, not Curves and Levels… sorry, my mistake!
This is a great topic to discuss as Curves and Levels essentially do the same thing just in different ways. A reader of Everyday HDR and a photo buddy of mine (a very talented one at that) asked me what the difference was between them. It is a very valid question, even an experienced Photoshopper will ask this question from time to time. In summary, I told him that they were essentially the same thing but on different frequencies.
- Curves contain levels
- Levels do not contain Curves
- Both control tone and color
- Levels are pretty 2 dimensional in nature
- Curves have 3 dimensional characteristics.
- Remember, a square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle cannot be a square. Curves can be levels, but levels cannot be curves.
Let’s take a deeper look at this one!