Want to know how to get the ABSOLUTE best detail in your photos WITHOUT using Clarity and Texture? Well then, you’re in luck! I’m gonna show you how to get incredible details in Photoshop!
This method will give you incredible details in your image without the harsh contrast that comes along with the Clarity and Texture adjustments in LR and ACR. It’s actually pretty easy to do also.
Step by Step Written Instructions for High Pass Details
1. Duplicate your work with a Layer Stamp or the duplication of the background layer.
2. Desaturate the duplicate layer by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+U (CMD+SHIFT+U on Mac)
3. Change the Blend Mode to Linear Light
4. Use FILTER > OTHER > High Pass
5. Set the High Pass between 1 and 5 (the smaller the starting image the smaller the pixel radius) Press OK
6. Make a mask on the layer by pressing ALT (Option on Mac) so it is black
7. Paint with white where you’d like the detail to come through.
8. Consider using Blend If to protect the shadows so it only affects the midtones and highlights.
00:13 DONT do THIS
02:12 High Pass Detail
06:12 High Pass & Linear Light Explained
07:53 …On a Landscape
13:01 …On a Portrait
15:30 High Pass is superior!
The Unrivaled Blend If!
Blend If has EVERY base covered in Photoshop with UNLIMITED possibilities!