Happy Halloween everyone! I love this time of year, what can be better than pumpkin carving followed by fresh roasted pumpkin seeds? My pumpkin this year did not turn out nearly as good as last year, but hey, I have a 6 month old now and time is of the essence. I did however, destroy my pumpkin seed recipe from last year. Here is the new and improved recipe: (I bet you never thought you would get cooking ideas from EverydayHDR did ya)
Fresh Roasted Pumpkin Seeds EverydayHDR style!
- Gut your pumpkin and make sure you get every last seed in a colander.
- Rinse the seeds thoroughly to get rid of the nasty orange strings.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a pot of boiling water with, this is important: a chicken bouillon cube, 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt, 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder, 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder.
- Boil the seeds for approximately 20 minutes, they will go from tan to a weird grey color.
- Dump seeds back into the colander, don’t rinse them, just drain them.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter, and make sure it is butter, I always get yelled at by my wife when I use tub spread or margarine in place of butter, I don’t see the difference but apparently it is important.
- Place pumpkin seeds, butter, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder (or any of your favorite seasonings for that matter) in a large bowl. Stir all of these guys thoroughly to ensure every seed is coated evenly with butter and seasoning mixture.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with some type of greasing agent, like Pam.
- Place seeds on cookie sheet and ensure they are spread evenly, they will not roast properly if they are all huddled together.
- Place in oven set to 300 for about 45 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven, let the seeds cool and make sure you hide them from your significant other because they are so damn good!